Saturday, August 13, 2011

Motion...

I was recently a part of a conversation where someone offered, "it's always two steps forward and one step back, just like they say." 

I was struck by how this statement was offered, and for the most part accepted, as simple truth. The question came up for me, who are "they" and quick on the heels came the answer - we are. 

As we accept, repeat and live our lives holding statements such as this to be "the way life works" we experience life working this way. Feels like a chicken or the egg moment to me...

So, If I start to expect life to work in different ways how might my experience  of life change?

What if, as was offered in the same conversation, the step "back" is actually part of the dance of life? Is it possible to do a Tango with no backward steps... 

I thought about a slingshot. It's a very simple machine designed to move something over a long distance quickly. The way it does this is a stone (or whatever) is put into the sling and you pull...it...back. Without this "backwards" motion the stone just falls to the ground. If you were to try to push the stone forward it would still just fall to the ground, perhaps a little farther forward but not much.

So, when I find myself in a situation that feels like a step (or two) back all I need do is notice that sensation and decide whether, in that moment, I am dancing in the flow or preparing to fly!

No comments:

Post a Comment